Invisalign or clear braces are a method of straightening your teeth. You will be fitted with custom removable, clear aligners that have been specifically fabricated to fit your teeth. The Invisalign aligners will gradually cause your teeth to move their position slightly over a period of two weeks. Every two weeks, you will change the aligners for a new set that will cause your teeth to move a little more. As the treatment progresses over the following weeks and months, your teeth will straighten into their proper positions, as prescribed by Dr. Danial Kalantari or Dr. Fernando Arcila. You wear the aligners for at least 22 hours per day, removing them only for eating or drinking.
What are benefits of having straight teeth ?
1. Healthier gums – When teeth are too widely crowded or spaced, most of the time they become red and inflamed These characteristics not only look bad, they’re a sign of periodontal disease.
Straightening your teeth helps the gums fit more securely around the teeth, creating the strongest defense against periodontal problems.
2. Makes teeth easier to clean – Crowded teeth are much more difficult to floss, which can lead to plaque buildup and eventually tooth decay. The inability to remove all the food caught in the brackets and wires of metal braces can also lead to a similar outcome.
3. Prevents abnormal tooth wear – Crowded bottom teeth often cause one or more teeth to push out, which rub against the upper teeth. Over time, this leads to an inefficient chewing function and can cause undue wear to tooth enamel.
4. Decreases headaches or neck pain – Crooked teeth place excessive stress on the gums and the bone that supports the teeth. This can also be a sign of a jaw misalignment, which can lead to chronic headaches as well as face or neck pain
7. Improves overall health – The tooth decay and gum disease associated with crooked teeth are caused by decay. Left untreated, this bacteria can lead to mouth sores, bleeding gums and possible tooth loss.
Studies by the ADA have also proven that bacteria can create oral infections,
which may lead to more serious ailments including heart disease, stroke, diabetes and pneumonia.
Is Invisalign right for me ?
Invisalign works for most cases. Consulting with Dr. Danial Kalantari or Dr. Fernando Arcila is the best way to determine your candidacy, a couple other factors can tip you off ahead of time. Invisalign can treat the following conditions, gapped teeth, crowded teeth,overbite, cross bite and under bite.
Wire Braces v.s Clear Braces
Both Invisalign and Braces are designed to straighten teeth and improve your smile and oral health. Braces consist of metal brackets being glued to your teeth, and tied together by wires and tiny rubber bands. Invisalign, on the other hand, is designed to be invisible. Aligner trays made of smooth, comfortable, BPA-free clear plastic are worn over your teeth to subtly and gently move your teeth.
|Metal or Silver
|More effective for more complex issues
|No trouble with food getting caught
Tooth may change color
| Must remove before eating or drinking anything but water
|May have some pain, sores or discomfort from wires or brackets
||May have discomfort from tooth movement
|May have difficulty eating sticky,
|Must brush after each meal to avoid staining
|No temptation to leave them out, so less self-discipline is needed for success
|Average time with braces 2 years
||Average time with Invisalign 1 year
There are many options for ways to transform your smile. So plan a visit to Smiles on Bristol Dentistry in Santa Ana, CA for a FREE orthodontic consultation
to see what options works best for you.