Santa Ana, California | Smiles on Bristol Dentistry
Dr. Kalantari On Dental Implants
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a replacement for the root or roots of a tooth. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants For You!
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth, and because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
Can Anyone Get Dental Implants?
In most cases, anyone healthy enough to undergo a routine dental extraction or oral surgery can be considered for a dental implant. Patients should have healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant. They also must be committed to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. Heavy smokers, people suffering from uncontrolled chronic disorders — such as diabetes or heart disease — or patients who have had radiation therapy to the head/neck area need to be evaluated on an individual basis. If you are considering implants, talk to Dr. Danial Kalantari to see if they are right for you.
What Is Involved in Getting a Dental Implant?
The first step in the dental implant process is the development of an individualized treatment plan. The plan addresses your specific needs and is prepared by Dr. Danial Kalantari or Dr. Fernando Arcila, both of whom are trained and experienced in oral surgery and restorative dentistry. Next, the tooth root implant, a small post made of titanium, is placed into the bone socket of the missing tooth. As the jawbone heals, it grows around the implanted metal post, anchoring it securely in the jaw. The healing process can take from 6 to 12 weeks. Once the implant has bonded to the jawbone, a small connector post called an abutment is attached to the post to securely hold the new tooth. To make the new tooth or teeth, Dr. Danial Kalantari will make impressions of your teeth. The new tooth or teeth are based of this impression. A replacement tooth, called a crown, is then attached to the abutment. Dr. Danial Kalantari also will match the color of the new teeth to your natural teeth.
Does Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
Coverage by your medical plan may be possible depending on the insurance plan and/or cause of tooth loss. Detailed questions about your individual needs and how they relate to insurance should be discussed with Dr. Danial Kalantari or with a Smiles on Bristol Dentistry team member.
For more information, contact Santa Ana Smiles On Bristol Dentistry at 714-662-2000, visit us at 2502 S. Bristol Street, Santa Ana CA 92704 or visit our site at http://www.SmilesOnBristolDentistry.com